Scars and Scarring

0 Comments
There are many different ways of creating scars. You can create them using moulds or you can make them using Tuplast or Collodion. How scars look is very dependant on how they were made. Cuts that aren't so deep won't leave very deep or coloured scars. Having a few on my hands from various it's interesting to see how they heal. I've got a raised one on my hand where I sliced my hand open as a teen and refused to get stitches. This scar, unlike my others healed raised whereas the others just seem to turn into shiny silver lines that fade in time. 

Using a scar mould will give you gelatin pieces to work with. These are quite good fun but can become frustrating when you don't get the results you want. The pieces we had to work with were rather thick so I didn't think I got a very good application but it's taught me a lot for the next time I try this. We had to use products that require special removers and special ways of applying them. I found this all good fun because I've never worked with anything like it. I learnt how sticky ProsAide is. Pros-Aide is very different from anything I've used before because it is a contact glue. I've never used it before this lesson and I had never heard of a glue that you need to apply to the skin and to the scar to make them stick together. To me it didn't make sense but all became clear when we started the practical.


Light Scars from Moulds:


The ones we used in class were already made however when you use a mould you need to have Petrolese, which is a release spray. A bit like cake release spray you spray in cake tins, you would spray this onto the mould before you use it.


Tools: 


- Pros-aide. This is a glue that is specifically designed for prosthetics.
- Pro-Clean: This is the remover that you need to use to remove Pros-aide, it's pointless trying to use anything as it won't come off. It has a very oily consistency, a lot like spirit gium remover.
- Foundation palette
- SupraColour
- Witch Hazel
- Powder
- Makeup Brushes- Don't get Pros-aide on these or you'll ruin them
- Baby buds
- Scissors, you may need to trim your scar before application
- Cotton pads to put Pro-Clean on to remove
- Fake Blood, optional



Method:

  1. Take some ProsAide on a baby bud and apply the piece and apply it to the skin where you are going to apply it.
  2. ProsAide is a milky white colour and when it goes clear it is then you need to stick the piece to the skin, you need to apply a fair amount of pressure to make sure they adhere. Just be careful of how much pressure you apply, think of you model. 
  3. Using my new found love, Witch Hazel this is like a magic eraser. You pop some on a baby bud and using downward strokes will dissolve the edges of your application and make and harsh edges disappear. I never knew that this stuff could do that.
  4. Apply a translucent powder. This acts like a highlighter that will show you were you need to go back in with the a witch hazel baby bud and dissolve some more edges.
  5. It's clean up time! Using another baby bud, clean away any of the glue that might have sneaked out from the pressure of the application. It's important to not go underneath your application as this will cause it to unstick and that's not what you need! 
  6. Now this is the bit that I suck at consecutively. It's time to add some colour to the wound, I always apply colour really heavily and it ruins the overall look. So take extra care to lightly apply colour. Blend the colour onto the skin that surrounds the wound, this helps make it look natural and not like a £1 stick on wound from poundland that you'd buy at Halloween.
  7. When you need to take it off, gently peel off the wound and with a cotton pad covered in ProClean wipe the area until there is no glue left.





Collodion Scars:

This was my favourite type of scarring to use. I felt as though this was a really simple but really effective. Even when writing this blog I found myself getting confused about what was Tuplast and what was collodion.  Collodion gives inward scars that dry clear and give a puckering to the skin. This product is highly sanitary so you can double dip into it without fear of cross contamination.


Tools and Equipment:

  • Barrier Cream
  • Collodion
  • Foundation palette / concealer palette (optional)
  • Supracolour
  • Make-up brushes

Method

  1. Apply barrier cream to the area and make sure that it has absorbed into the skin well.
  2. Using the brush that comes it, it's better to use a disposable one, as collodion will ruin brushes. Paint it onto the skin in the shape you want your scar.
  3.  Slight pinch the skin together as it is drying so it 'puckers'
  4. You can colour these once it's dry but it isn't necessary. I wanted to create self harm scars that were still fairly new scars. To do this I used the lilac and pink from the Supracolour palette and I mixed this in with a concealer similar to the skin tone. This gave me a rough idea of what scar tissue would look like on this model.
  5. Use a fine detail brush to paint this down the scar you've created. Again, this is an optional step.



Tuplast:

Tuplast is an interesting medium to work with. This creates outward scars. I think this would be good to create scars that are formed from Scarification in tribes. As these scars are outward and sometimes are created in forms of intricate patterns. You don't need to Make up on top of Tuplast as it dries semi translucent. 

Tools

  • Tuplast
  • Barrier Cream
  • Powder
  • Powder brush/puff

Method

  1.  Apply barrier cream to the skin and make sure that it's been absorbed into the skin well.
  2. Squeeze out the scar design you you want onto the skin. I wouldn't recommend a brush application as this is almost like a glue that dries with a putty like finish.
  3.  When it has dried, apply translucent powder on top using a powder brush or a powder puff.
A comparison of the two types of scarring methods that have been described in this blog post.



You may also like

No comments: