What I instantly liked about this was the Andrew Graham-Dixon's brutal honesty. He starts talking about the "Castle of Otranto" by Horace Walpole. It's regarded as one of the finest Gothic Horror literature pieces and he's straight in there. "An Englishman's right be rather unusual" This is a phrase that is used to describe Walpole's view on where he found the inspiration for his novel, Strawberry Hill. It seems as though it was here that found that a love for all things 'queer' He liked the Gothic side because it was under this category that all things unusual fall into. Horace seems to be a quirky chap who most certainly did not fit into the life he was born into. This is shown by the choice of where he lived, many other people were living in grand country houses and he was leaving in the very beautiful, yet quite quaint Strawberry Hill on the outskirts of London. Another part of this documentary that I enjoyed was the rather long section that talked about the influence of Gothic within painting that were very popular. It's almost like they were the original horror stories. I like how he talks about how 'Nature is dwarfed' by the architecture. I think this is really accurate statement because setting is a key element in the novels and it's given unruly characteristics and then this make us fear nature from our newly built buildings. The part on the French Revolution was actually really dark. I'd read briefly about it but I'd never really researched it much. The paintings and images created are really horrific. "Behind the mask of satire, he grins at the horror of it all" It is quite a scary thought. It almost makes the make who drew these images seem even worse. Through out this documentary I felt as though he made a really good comparison between social commentary's influence on literature. It was really interesting and I'd probably watch it again.
Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus.