When working with products like liquid latex it is essential that you do a patch test on the model with at least a weeks notice. Allergic reactions can be burning, itching and red skin appearing during use. If this happens you must remove the products immediately.
Other things to bare in mind are:
Use products in a well ventilated room, they can be quite odorous
Use a barrier product before applying. A moisturiser isn't sufficient as it is greasy
Wear old clothes and be sure to cover your model's clothes sufficiently as some of these products will not come out of fabric
Be careful when working on areas that have a lot of hair as these will be painful to remove
When working around the eyes, models must keep their eyes shut until the application has finished
When disposing of liquid latex, you mustn't pour it down the drain, as it'll block it. Using couch roll or tissue scoop out any remaining product and throw these in the bin.
Shake products well before use, they may settle
Products/Tools
Stipple sponge
Liquid Latex
Barrier cream
Acetone
Greasepaint
D15 d14 Dermacolor concealer palette
Pointed brush
Translucent Powder
Powder Brush
Cotton Buds
Hair dryer
Supracolour palette
Method
Get client to scrunch up face. Look at lines. This is where you'll start working Read your brief. How old are they going?
Apply barrier cream on areas you're going to use, Rub it in well
Pour some liquid latex into a bowl and press product into the Stipple sponge
Stretch the skin out and then stipple onto the area in a thin layer
Testing on your neck first use the hair dryer on a cool setting it dry
Add layers until you reach the desired level
*Optional* powder in between each layer.
It's possible to go close to the eyes it's just important to be careful of the eyelashes
Use a cotton dipped in acetone, to melt away edges and correct any mistakes
Grey eyebrows out with supracolours
Use greasepaint to add colour to the dried latex.
I mixed up shade D14 and D15 for liverspots. I used a slight more yellowed toned concealer to cover the vast majority of the latex application with this. Apply with a pointed brush
Powder at this stage.
Evaluation
Overall I enjoyed working with Liquid Latex. I'm fairly pleased with my outcome as it's been 7 years since I've worked with liquid latex. If I had had more time I would have tried to 'erase' the edges a little more. I wouldn't have put as many laters on as I feel I lost the effect. Another thing I will be more cautious of is the amount of latex that gets used. I feel as though paying more attention to this will mean a more even finish when it's dry. I think part of it may not have dried properly. I can't wait to try this again. On a different note I made more of a conscious effort to keep my workstation tidier and more organised because this was what brought my marks down from my last unit. It's easier to work with a clutter free environment.
Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus.