Gelatin is a very diverse product and it my favourite to use. I think that you can create some really interesting effects. One very important thing that I learnt while using this is that putting gelatin on an area that hair on it can prove to be pretty painful to remove. I had done this on myself on my forearm and even though it proved to be comical watching me remove it, I can tell you first hand that it was slightly painful. I learnt my lesson.
There are many types of burn and gelatin can be used to create them. It's important to know what kind of burn you are aiming to make so you have a clear goal. I've learnt that it's a good idea to have a scenario as basis for any special effects. I've spent a lot of time looking at burns especially being a baker, you are used getting them and seeing them.
If someone is allergic to latex, you can use gelatin as a substitute. You don't need to put barrier cream on either. Products/Tools:
Gelatin
Powder
Supracolour
Witch Hazel
Vaseline
Liquid Latex
Stage Blood
Pus (A light colour is preferable)
Bowl
Spatula
Brushes
Sponge
Hair Dryer
Microwave
Baby buds
Method:
Cut up the gelatin you will be using and put into a bowl
Put the bowl into microwave for 15-20 seconds. Around the 15 second mark open the microwave and check the consistency. You don't really want to go over 20 seconds as it will spoil the gelatin and it will become unusable.
When it has melted, test the temperature on the back of your hand before applying to your model. You don't want to give them a real burn!
Apply to the skin. If you scrape it on you'll get a much smooth finish. I like to pick at mine as it's drying because it gives a good texture to work with
Use the hair dryer on a cool heat to make the gelatin less tacky. Do not use a warm/hot heat on gelatin as it'll melt off!
When it isn't a sticky, it option here to apply a later of liquid latex depending on the burn.
Apply some powder to the burn. I apply it in a patting motion or with a really big fluffy powder brush.
If there are really hard edges, use a baby bud dipped in witch hazel and drag against the edge until it slowly dissolves.
It's time to colour. Using a fine detail brush, you can pick out fine details and areas that you want to draw attention do. Bright reds are recommended for this because a fresh burn is quite red/pinkish.
I applied the pus into a pocket of I'd made in the gelatin. I apply a lot of colour to my burn.
Make sure that you put some colour on the skin around the burn otherwise it'll look out of place.
Add fake blood if desired.
You can use vaseline to make the burn shiny. This is also dependent on what type of burn you have made.
This method is for block gelatin, however the same steps can be followed but using powder gelatin, all you need to do is skip the microwave steps and make the gelatin up according to the instructions.
This was my first attempt. I had to take some colour off because I had put too much on and it made it look unrealistic
Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus.