I'd argue this is one of the more difficult parts of special effects because a bad black truly looks awful. There is a requirement of having a basic understanding biology when constructing bruises because the colours used are related the healing period of a bruise.
The more yellow a bruise is, the older it is. It shows that it has nearly healed. The edges of a bruise can be yellowish because this means this area of the skin didn't receive as much trauma. It's paying close attention to minuscule details like this that make your work better. I've photographed my bruises from of the years, because I obtain a lot of them in the most random of ways because no two bruises are the same. It's good to work from a photograph. It helps you create realism. Bruisewheels are treated just like greasepaints.
Tools:
Bruise wheel. Mehron/Ben Nye
Moisturiser
Isopropyl Alcohol
Latex Sponges
Supracolour Palette
Vaseline
Method
Make sure the eye is clear of any make up. Apply moisturiser carefully. Bruises are shiny, and this helps.
Depending on the stage of the black eye, will depend on the colours that you are using.
Start by applying colour to the inner corner of the eye. Apply this to the top of the eyelid and underneath the lower lashes, near the tear duct.
Under the eye where you naturally get dark circles is a good place to take ideas for your colour palette. Some people have more purple tones to their skin. It's important to remember that the skin under the eyes is very thin so even the slightest bit of trauma is very apparent. Gently blend out dark reds/purple shades out.
Use your finger to soften the edges. This is a good place to add yellow tones.
Using a stipple sponge with a dark maroon/red gently stipple under the eye to gain a mottled effect, this also gives the illusion of burst blood vessels.
When you have finished applying colours and make sure they are blended well, this should give an interesting and theatrical look. Make sure that you've blended them down to the lash line otherwise the natural pallour of the skin shows through and it takes away from the desired look.
Apply vaseline to really give your model 'a shiner' :D
I really like how this one turned out. I like the biology behind this type of special effects. I think that I did an ok job with this. I love bruisewheels. I think you can get some much variety from them, and I swear by my 3. One of the best investments that I've made in regards to my kit
Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus.