I feel fairly confident in my first practice on Harriet but dear God did this
feeling disappear as soon as I started sectioning her hair.
I couldn't seem to get the partings right, and this meant that key elements
were being messed up. My first issue was sectioning the hair for the ponytail.
I think I’d taken too much hair into the ponytail because when I turned it
through on itself, I was left with a parting down the scalp. I didn't have this
in my photos from my previous run through.
This time, I had remember to bring my hair elastics. So putting the hair into a
ponytail was easier, but I think it took away from the overall effect. I redid
the pony tail, and plaited the loose hair that was left underneath. As
discussed with Helen, I did three thinner plaits and sprayed them down with
heat protection spray. I unclipped the front two sections and begin plaiting them
loosely from the jawline down in the previously mentioned practice.
I plait the hair that is loose from the ponytail, and very carefully twist this
up into the shape that I need. It must cover the unsightly hair band that I've
decided will not be using it in my assessment.
I loosely plait the front two sections, and I am careful to make the plaits start at just below the jawline for the continuity aspect. I secure the ends of the plaits with clear elastic hair bands. Unlike my practice attempt, I decided to wrap these around the plait bun by going underneath. I don't like this, because it makes the front loops get really loose and you can't really control how they fall.
Make-Up:
I start by mixing up my Kryolan shade to match Harriet's skin tone. I've worked with her before so I can remember the shades that I used. I want to pale down the skin though some when I've mixed the shades together I add in some Illamasqua skin base: white. I like the finish this gives the skin because it doesn't take the skin down too much it just makes it look slight unwell.
I apply this all over the face, neck and ears. I'm I didn't mix enough white in the original base so I gently stipple some white over the base and blend this in with a kabuki brush.
There'll be no concealing as Harriet has good, clear skin and no blemishes. I want to keep the natural darkness under the eyes, I've looked at insomnia, the physical effects of insanity and Vitamin D deficiency and I want her eyes to look sunken and tired.
Using my Ben Nye bruise wheel, I scoop out some of the navy and the purple shades. I also put some of the Supra colour white on my hand too, to help with mixing shades.
Starting with the lilac shade, I apply that under the eyes and blend it out using Mac 224 blending brush, I make her look more tired. I add some of the navy blue into the lid and blend that with some of the lilac shades I've made by mixing the white into them. I make it darker towards the tear duct.
I take some of the maroon shade from the bruise wheel and smudge this under the lower lashes to make the eyes look sore irritated.
Take some of the darkest shade of foundation, I run it through the eyebrows and brush them against themselves so they look wild and unkempt.
Applying some Duo to the lips with a cotton bud. When it's nearly dry, I gently press her lip so it sticks to itself and I ask her to smile. This cracks the layer. I do this again. Using a really fine detailed brush, I take some of the same maroon colour and fill it into some of the cracks in her lips to make her look ill.
Thoughts:
After showing my work to some tutors, the feedback I've been given is that I need to make it look less theatrical. I don't think I fully understood the brief. I'm going to powder next time to make sure that it doesn't look like that it just sitting on the skin.
I need to practice the hair design more. I'll do these on my Katie head to try and fix any teething problems. Make up- I was pretty happy with this overall. I need to tone it down, so I'll try building the colours up slightly slower and it doesn't need to be so obvious.
Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus.