Introduction to Gothic Horror

0 Comments


Gothic Horror?

Well that's me in my element. But let's break this down into two sections. Gothic, Horror. I've always been that peculiar 'goth' kid and wearing black was never a 'phase' I grew out of. There is much more to the word 'Gothic' than a collection of eyeliner wearing, pale skinned people. Goth is an art, a movement. It has consciously crept through our literature, lingered within our art and always been a member the shadow cabinet that is our fashion. It's beautiful. It's where I fit in.


There is an unfortunate misconception of some things that are deemed to be Gothic. It is sometimes shunned and isn't accepted for it's true beauty. Gothic isn't limited to people who enjoy wearing black, or listen to a certain type of music and we most definitely don't worship the devil (Some people 

might, but each to their own) It's a wonderful culture. It's accepting. It sees the beauty in everything. Oh? Is that a ethically sourced rabbit skull? We're just going to turn that into an absolutely beautiful plaque that other people will buy.

Attending an all girls school was tough. Why is this relevant? I'll explain. There's a hierarchy, a pecking order. An expectation of you from your peers. To look normal, to listen to chart music and to fit in. Anything that didn't reach these expectations was deemed weird. In my house, I grew up listening to everything. The first CD I stole from my Dad was Blink-182's Enema of the State. I continuously listened to this throughout my early teens and my music tastes progressed throughout the genres of metal, gothic metal, EBM, industrial and everything that wasn't normal. This influenced how I dressed. I got a lot of stick from the girls because it wasn't normal. My eyeliner was too heavy, my clothes were just black. Looking back  now, all very unoriginal insults. In fact just for the giggles I still shall include some absolutely cringe worthy photos of me from me truly 'try hard' goth days.


Yes, there is a social media site called Vampirefreaks.com Yes I was part of it.

I'd just found the settings on my webcam. I wanted to be even more pale than I already was.


.

This is where things start to get interesting. Yup. That's a veil and a black minidress...



Trademark hand gesture.
... That I wore to my CATHOLIC school on Non-Uniform days

My local haunt being a London girl, was none other than Camden Town. Signature skeleton clothing.... Check

19 Years Old, with dreadlocks

I've had every shade of hair colour under the rainbow. Let me make all of this wonderful photos relevant. To me, Gothic isn't a style or choice. It's just a lifestyle. There isn't a right or wrong way to dress (I can here the King and Queen Goths turning in their open caskets- See what I did there? Way to go stereotypes. You're bringing my level of humour to my blog) I look back at these photos and I can remember feeling so nervous about how I dressed and how I chose to express myself. I can remember it really bothering me. Upsetting me.
Albeit, this wasn't my greatest moment in fashion history but I was still learning how to be comfortable in myself. I an recall being on the bus in North London (my old home town) and a young man (approx 15) shouting horrible things at me on the bus. Telling me that Halloween wasn't October.
 How. Original.
Embracing Goth is something I've done gracefully. I don't feel the need to be completely 'out there' with my fashion choices now. It's more than just skin deep. I tend to see the beauty in all things macabre. Doesn't mean I worship the devil, I just find beauty in things some people might not necessarily agree on. Goth has gone and split off into many  subcultures that'll go into more detail about later throughout this blof.


Horror.


Now to completely break the stereotype that surrounds Goth, I cannot do horror films. What I mean is:
  • I'm extremely nervous
  • I can't handle gore
  • I don't like the sound of bones cracking
  • I'm scared of the dark
  • Normally, these films terrify me
  • I'm scared of clowns
So, I never spent my nights in watching classic horror films because I just can't. I jump and squeak and it's an all round hilarious experience for anyone with me. I've seen very few horror films. Although, I love Nightmare on Elm Street 6 and The Toxic Avenger. Cheesy B Movie grade horror.
To me, horror has progressed into something that has got it's own following. I have friends that'll only watch horror films. I think this is pretty cool as I now try and watch films from a make up point of view. I was obsessed with with the 'traps' in Saw. I thought the whole idea was fascinating because it puts the human mind to the test.


Gothic + Horror =
It's a delicate combination of the two things I've just gone into detail about. It's normally about capturing a few of these elements and creating something fantastic. I've noticed with modern (yes, this again is something else I'll be going into detail about in a later post) gothic horror that it tends to swing on the paranormal side of things. Final destination was one of those films that played on the element of premonitions.

All sorts of things <3

I'm so excited. My head is exploding is with ideas.


Nikerlina xo



You may also like

No comments: